The Borough of Penns Grove is an Equal Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Code Enforcement Officer is a highly responsible position involving enforcement of various Borough ordinances and codes that affect health, safety, and welfare of the public. The code enforcement officer is responsible for enforcement of environmental codes, land use development regulations, zoning regulations, occupational licensing, and related codes and ordinances. The code enforcement officer must have a broad knowledge of the various codes and inspection procedures and exercise a significant degree of initiative and independent judgment. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the business administrator and is reviewed through, performance reviews, reports submitted, and results obtained. The code enforcement officer will receive, investigate, and process complaints; enforce borough codes and ordinances; and prepare cases for code enforcement hearings. The code enforcement officer must know how to effectively deal with emotional, angry residents in a respectful manner. The employee must have a high level of attention to detail. This role routinely uses office equipment such as computers for various applications, phones, photocopiers, filling cabinets and fax machines. The code enforcement officer will be required to project and maintain a positive image on the Borough.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Customer service.
- Answer phones.
- Input and retrieve a variety of information using a computer terminal.
- Maintain files and records related to citations and violations.
- Prepare a variety of written reports, memoranda and correspondence.
- Patrols the Borough of Penns Grove on a regular basis to ensure compliance with various Borough codes and regulations.
- Photograph violations, create files; prepare investigative reports; prepare legal documents, including abatement and inspection warrants, and correspondence.
- Collect and safeguard evidence for civil property abatements and civil litigation.
- Receive, investigate and document complaints of Borough code and related laws; render code enforcement action.
- Compose and issue courtesy notices, notices of violations, citations, correction notices, and stop work orders to ensure compliance.
- Prepare cases for code enforcement hearings; testify in court as necessary on behalf of the Borough.
- Conduct follow-up investigations to ensure compliance with applicable codes.
- Respond to questions, complaints, and inquiries.
- Coordinate with Police Department the removal of abandoned and illegally parked vehicles.
- Removes illegal and off-site signage from road right-of-way, trees and utility poles.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and hearings as required.
- Track enforcement issues over time.
- Assist the department in drafting and implementing programs and procedures directly related to code enforcement.
- Assists the Borough in the preparation for and aftermath of a major emergency.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience: Graduation from a standard high school; a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in code enforcement or related work; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Successful completion of all three levels of certification within 36 months of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Background in code enforcement work.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in English.
- Ability to communicate clearly by verbally and in writing in English.
- Ability to enforce municipal regulations with firmness and tact and handle complaints in a courteous and effective manner.
- Good work ethics.
- Detailed oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Computer proficiency in MS word, excel, access and the ability to learn other types of computer programs.
- Ability to track code enforcement issues overtime and follow up as needed.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and borough codes and ordinances as apply to code enforcement issues.
- Knowledge of Borough policies, procedures and practices.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and apply various Borough codes and regulations.
- Ability to identify code violations during the inspection of dwellings, premises, vacant lots, signs, etc.
- Ability to prepare reports and standard form letters.
- Ability to locate, read, and interpret legal descriptions and ownership records.
- Ability to maintain detailed files and records.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Sedentary work: position requires frequent sitting.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or small amount of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Climbing: Descending and ascending stairs to and from basement.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
- Visual Acuity: With or without correction. Have close visual acuity to perform and activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; viewing computer monitor and extensive reading; determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly and quickly.
- Walking: Moving about to accomplish tasks.
Work is performed inside an office setting as well as outside in all weather conditions.
HOURS OF WORK AND PAY
Hours range is Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Employee is occasionally required to work at nights or on Saturdays to ensure no borough codes are being violated outside normal business hours. $14 / hour for approximately 20 hours per week.