- Ambulance: For Emergencies: 9-1-1
- Assessor: 856-299-0098, ext. 116
- Animal Registrar: 856-299-0098, ext. 102
- Business Administrator & Economic Development Coordinator: 856-299-0098, x116
- Construction Code Office: 856-299-0098, ext. 120
- Finance Office: 856-299-0098, ext. 108
- Fire Company: For Emergencies: 9-1-1
- Housing Office & Zoning Office: 856-299-0098, ext. 100
- Municipal Clerk’s Office: 856-299-0098, ext. 102
- Police Department: For Emergencies: 9-1-1
- Public Works: 856-299-7082
- Tax Collector: 856-299-0070, x143
Penns Grove EMS also known as Squad 4, has one Ambulance that serves the Borough of Penns Grove, and lends assistance to the surrounding communities of Salem County. Our members are NJ Emergency Medical Technician’s and are Volunteers!! The squad was re-organized in 2008. New members are welcome, please email the squad for an application.
The purpose of the Penns Grove Ambulance Association is to provide emergency medical services for the sick and injured and to enhance public awareness of the Emergency Medical System within the Borough of Penns Grove and to lend assistance to neighboring communities when requested under mutual aid.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am to 3:30pm
Dog and cat licenses are available Monday through Friday 9:00am to 3:30pm.
A late fee of $10.00 is charged after May 1st.
Please bring a copy of your pets rabies shot and a copy of the spayed / neutered certificate. A copy of each will be kept on file.
If you would like to pay by mail, please fill out the pdf application form found on the Forms & Documents page of this website for each pet and include a self-addressed stamped envelope so we may return any papers you sent along with your pet’s new tag and License Certificate. Checks or money orders are accepted by mail. Paid to: Borough of Penns Grove.
If your veterinarian determines that the rabies vaccination would be dangerous for your pet, please fill out the Rabies Exemption form found on the Forms & Documents page of this website.
856-299-0098, ext. 188
The Assessor’s office is responsible for the valuation of all properties. We also process applications for the Veteran Deductions, Senior and Disabled Person Deductions, and 100% Total Disabled Veteran.
Dates for wartime military duty have changed in recent years; please call the office to see if you may be eligible.
To qualify for a senior deduction you must be 65 years old the year before applying for the deduction with an income level not exceeding $10,000 (not counting social security).
Farmland applications are also generated from this office. The forms are mailed in June and are due back August 1 each year. Please note that farm assessments are a privilege, not a right.
Forms for the Assessor are found on the Forms & Documents page of this website.
Business Administrator & Economic Development Coordinator
Sean M. Brown, MPA is the first Business Administrator of Penns Grove. The Business Administrator assists the mayor and borough council in managing Borough affairs in accordance with Municipal Ordinances and the laws of the State of New Jersey and of the United States. The Borough Administrator plans, directs and coordinates the various services and activities as determined by the mayor and entire governing body in accordance with the Borough’s Municipal Code, state law, and mandates by DCA & our state monitor.
The Business Administrator is charged with executing the policies and procedures put forth by the borough Council. The Administrator is also responsible for developing procedures and for ensuring adherence to these procedures by all departments and employees.
The Administrator is responsible for the maintenance of sound positive public relations between the Town and its citizens; between the Borough and other governmental agencies and between the various boards and commissions that make up the Borough government.
The Administrator also:
- Monitors the budget and all financial affairs of Penns Grove; works closely with mayor and council, CFO, Police Director, and department heads to develop a comprehensive budget
- Implements borough policy decisions and provides staff in all departments with the clear and efficient operating procedures necessary to carry out policy mandates.
- Serves as liaison between the mayor and various public and private agencies and businesses and the residents and business owners of Penns Grove.
Construction Code Office
Phone: 856-299-0098, ext. 100
Building Subcode Official – DCA
Electric Subcode Official – DCA
Plumbing Subcode Official – DCA
Fire Subcode Official – DCA
Administrative office hours of operation are Thursdays 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm.
Plans, applications, etc. may be picked up or dropped for review Mon. – Fri. 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Construction, Building and Fire Inspection:Thursdays from 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Electrical Inspections: Thursday by scheduled appointment.
- Plumbing Inspections: Thursday by scheduled appointment.
Assistant Treasurer/Accounts Payable
856-299-0098, ext. 108
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
The Finance Department is responsible for all financial and reporting functions for the Borough of Penns Grove as regulated by the State of New Jersey.
These functions include, but are not limited to budgeting, financial and debt management, investments, accounting, purchasing, payroll, accounts payable and grants management.
Borough meetings are on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm. Completed Purchase Orders/Vouchers are processed at each meeting.
- Documents may be found on the Forms & Documents page of this website.
Liberty Fire Company #1
Chief Adam Hartsough
For Emergencies: 856-299-0055 (or dial 911)
The Penns Grove Volunteer Fire Department is staffed by your neighbors who volunteer their time and energy to serve their community.
Interested in Volunteering?
If so, please fill out this form and someone will reach out to you. Please note that applying to be a volunteer firefighter does not guarantee that you will be accepted. This is a preliminary step to see if you might be qualified.
Housing and Zoning Office
1 State Street, First Floor
Penns Grove NJ 08069
856-299-0098, ext. 100
The Housing Office handles a variety of situations such as :
- Rental Housing and Fair Housing issues
- Landlord & Rental Registrations
- Shade Tree & Urban Forestry issues
- Zoning issues such as land use questions, violations, etc.
Forms and Documents
Housing Office forms are found on the Forms & Documents page of this website.
- Certificate of Occupancy – $50.00
- Re-inspection – $25.00 first one is free
- Annual Rental License – $100 per unit
- Rental License Late Penalty – $50.00
- Annual Inspection – No Charge
- Zoning Permit Application – $10.00
Shade Tree Commission Meetings
Second Tuesday of each month at 6pm in the Court Room – 1 State Street, Second Floor, Penns Grove NJ, 08069
Municipal Clerk’s Office
Municipal Deputy Clerk/Deputy Registrar/Notary Public – POSITION VACANT
856-299-0098, ext. 102
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The Borough Clerk serves as the Secretary to the Municipal Corporation, Administrative Officer of Elections with the Borough, Secretary to the Governing Body, and serves as the liaison between the Governing Body and the public. The Clerk’s office receives, distributes and assigns all correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and Borough Council; responsible for the preparation of the Agenda for Borough Council Meetings and to record and prepare minutes of the meetings; Custodian of all official records of the municipality.
Municipal Clerk forms are found on the Forms & Documents page of this website.
- Voter Registration
- Primary, General and School Elections
- Copies of Resolutions, Ordinances and Municipal Codes
- Use of Facility Applications and Permits
- Park Rental Application and Permit
- Employment Applications
- Liquor License Applications
- Social Affairs Applications and Permits
- Solicitors, Vendors, Raffle, Bingo, Yard Sale Applications and
- Receives Applications for Zoning Permits
- Receives Applications for Planning Board
- Street/Road Opening Permits
- Taxi/Limousine Licensing
- Municipal Search for Improvement
- Custodian of Records – OPRA (Open Public Records Act)
- Notary Public Services
- Marriage Applications and Licenses
- Issuance of Death, Birth and Marriage Certificates
1 State Street, 2nd Floor
Penns Grove NJ 08069
Municipal Court Code: 1708
856-299-0098 Ext. 106 / Fax: (856) 299-0975
Fridays at 1:30 pm, dates to be set by the Judge.
Court Office Hours
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 3 pm.
The Municipal Court of the Borough of Penns Grove handles traffic summons issued by the Penns Grove Police Department, and various state agencies as well as the NJ State Police.
The court also hears cases involving criminal charges, disorderly person offenses, drug charges, citizen complaints and violations of municipal ordinances.
- Municipal Judge: Honorable Jason D. Witcher
- Certified Court Administrator: Sharon O’Bye
- Deputy Court Administrator: Charmaine Bennefiled
- Prosecutor: Andrea Rhea Public Defender: Terry Stomel
- Court Recorder: Cleapatra Johnson
2021 Court Schedule
Court Sessions will be heard virtually via Zoom Courtroom until further notice. You will be notified by mail or email with instructions to access your virtual session. If you have questions, contact the court at 856-299-0911 x105 or x106.
- January 8 & 22
- February 5 & 26
- March 12 & 26
- April 9 & 23
- May 14 & 28
- June 4 & 11
- July 9 & 23
- August 20 & 27
- September 10 & 24
- October 1 & 22
- November 5 & 19
- December 3 & 17
PGPD ORI: NJ0170800
Penns Grove PD website: https://www.pennsgrovepd.org
FOR AN EMERGENCY DIAL: 856-299-0055 OR 911
Non-emergencies ONLY : 856 299 0056, press 2 for Spanish, follow the prompts.
- Police Director: Richard Rivera 856-299-0056 Ext. 104
- Officer In Charge (OIC): Cpl. Robert Frett 856-299-0056 Ext. 117
- Police Clerk/Admin Secretary: Tracy Thompson 856-299-0056 Ext. 122
Our Mission is to enable a safe and secure environment by protecting the rights of persons and property through crime prevention and enforcement of law.
The Penns Grove Police Department is one of the many law enforcement agencies in the State of New Jersey. The members of our organization are dedicated to providing our citizens and the many visitors to our community with quality law enforcement. The department consists of 16 sworn police officers and 4 civilian support staff personnel.
As the demands for police service expands, we strive to continually improve our abilities to perform our duties and to expand in our community partnerships. The most fulfilling relationships are built on understanding and communication. With that knowledge, the goal of this website is to help you understand our police department and its commitment to enhancing the quality of life. As a department, we urge those who live, work or otherwise visit our Borough to become an active partner with the Penns Grove Police Department in combating crime and enhancing the quality of life. This relationship occurs when both us, the department and you, the people, understand each others needs and concerns. This understanding will result in the prevention of criminal activity, the solving of crimes, and the overall improvement of the quality of life in our community.
Provide daily trash and recyclable pickup, dispose of tree trimmings, and logs for residents, pickup concrete, bricks, and cinder blocks and collect discarded appliances. Maintain park and recreation complex, township roads, (snow removal, road signs, pot holes, street sweeping), and storm drains.
344 Penns Grove-Auburn Road; Carney’s Point, NJ 08069
- Labor Day to Memorial Day: Monday thru Friday 7:00am-3:30pm
- Memorial Day to Labor Day: Monday thru Friday 6:00am-2:30pm